Monday, September 13, 2010

Fall Must Haves: Es-Cape to reality

Why this took so long to catch on, I'll never know, but capes and ponchos have returned to style. We first saw glimpses of killer capes last winter, but now capes are everywhere. And I am so excited because this means you can find styles at every price point.

This trend is all about comfort with a hint of glamour and drama. Designers have fused capes with other trends - camel, equestrian, military, etc. - so whatever style you are looking for, you can probably find.

I won't wax poetic about them too much because I think it's pretty obvious I love the look! Wear ponchos and capes with skinny jeans, jeggings, or leggings to balance out the volume of the top, or belt drapey sweaters to create a silhouette. I imagine wearing my H&M camel-colored poncho, pictured below, with skinny jeans, over the knee suede boots and large tortoise-framed sunglasses.

Here are some of my favorite poncho-style sweaters:

Joie Soft Celia Cable-Knit Sweater, available at Cusp: $158

T by Alexander Wang poncho, available at Net-A-Porter: $275

H&M poncho, also available in grey: $19.95


Old Navy marled cable-knit cape: $39.50


And now that it's starting to get chilly, we can think more about outerwear. I think cape-style coats look so luxurious and fun. I'm on the hunt for my perfect cape, but here are some I love in the meantime.

ASOS hooded military cape: $117.95

Alice by Temperley Charlie crepe coat, available at Net-A-Porter: $595

Halston Heritage long cape, available at Neiman Marcus: $495

Diane von Furstenberg wool cape jacket, available at Net-A-Porter: $395

And in a dream world...

Ann Demeulemeester double-breasted cape coat, available at Saks: $2350

 And...

Ralph Lauren Dunlop shearling-trim cape: $1498

I'm feeling all warm and toasty just looking at these!

No comments:

Post a Comment