Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little about my journey toward healthy living...

(Warning: This blog post isn't super exciting, has no pictures (mostly because I left my camera in Utah) and isn't about fashion. But hopefully some of you will find it interesting! And not too preachy...)

The other week, I shared my new year's resolutions. They are pretty general - not so much big changes as gradual improvements I'd like to see in myself over the year.

A big chunk of my resolutions were inspired by healthy living blogs. Over the past few months, I've really gotten into these "healthy living" blogs. Prompted by my interest in losing a few lbs. before the wedding and then further piqued by the much-discussed (and, IMO, pretty one-sided) Marie Claire article, I discovered a group of blogs by young women around my age.

Most of these women struggled with their weights, particularly during their college years, and have adopted healthier, more natural lifestyles to find their Feel Good Weight. Inspired by these women, I've been trying to make real food, activity and positive thinking a bigger part of my life. Rather than consciously make these decisions, I want them to become intuitive, second nature.

So I thought I'd share with you two tangible changes I'm making this month - and moving forward - to improve my health:

1. Going green: I've started drinking smoothies in the morning. I am the last person that would think I'd be satisfied by a smoothie for breakfast, but that was until I discovered this: spinach+banana+almond milk+flax seed. I know, I know. You are like, ew, spinach for breakfast? In a smoothie? But with a little banana and vanilla flavoring from the almond milk, I promise, you won't even tell. Plus you can change up the recipe as you'd like. I've added in blueberries, apples, truvia... some people even use chocolate! Even The Fiance is a convert.

The best thing I have to say about these smoothies is my energy level. I no longer rely on coffee to help me power through the mornings. I feel refreshed and rejuvenated, but not weighed down.


2) Challenging myself: For physical activity, I've given myself must-do exercises. The first is training for the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler - which is in 79 days! Eek. The Ten Miler is very popular in DC - in fact you have to enter a lottery and be chosen to participate. And they have strict rules: You have to finish under a certain time and you have to maintain a certain pace - which means NO WALKING. Talk about pressure. So I've been using Hal Hingdon's Ten-Miler training program to get my rear in gear. Sure, I've run a few 5Ks but it's nothing compared to ten miles...

Secondly, I've been doing my own personal Whittle Your Waist challenge. For this, I'm accountable only to myself. Five days a week, I do a series of ab exercises and track my improvement. I've already seen great improvement in how long I can hold a plank - especially my side planks. I really recommend this as a fun little add-on to your normal workout routine! (At least I enjoy it - I'm no expert).

And if you have any interest in reading some wonderful healthy living blogs, here are my favorites:

1 comment:

  1. So happy to have you as my partner in getting in shape! I couldn't do it without you!

    ReplyDelete